News:

We have a new forums theme. This theme is mobile responsive and SEO compliant. The last one was not.
|CoR| Staff

|CoR| Chineez

Dante's Inferno!
« on: March 07, 2007, 12:01:34 AM »
im reading this book for english class and its pretty intresting, although its just an opinion it is eye opening to see someones vision of hell.

opinions on the book / dante himself?

and since we are on the topic of hell...what is it like? in the bible of course...

no bashing. :icon_smile:
God bless!
-Matt

Eat babies. Go pro.

|CoR| Tîwele

Re: Dante's Inferno!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 10:48:39 AM »
C.S. Lewis book the great divorce has an interesting view on heaven and hell as well.
Tîwele ^
"You wrote that the world doesn't need a savior, but every day I hear people crying for one." - Superman Returns

Cupcake

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 02:07:12 PM »
CS Lewis' Screwtape Letters were also very good.

Maccabees

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 11:11:21 PM »
22 . . . the rich man also died, and was buried;
23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father’s house:
28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment. (Luke 16:22-28)

Ephesians 4:9, says of Jesus: "Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the LOWER PARTS OF THE EARTH."

The Earth's inner core has a temp. over 12,000 fahrenheit...thats crazy toasty huh? 

"And the Earth opend her mouth, and swallowed them up, and their houses, and all the men that appertained unto Korah, and all their goods. They, and all that appertained to them, went down alive into the pit, and the Earth closed upon them" Numbers 16:32-33

I think it intersting that the Giovanni Boccaccio wrote that closer to satan the drew the colder it got.  I suppose its a medafor for the explanation of God's love.  The further from God you go the further away from his love, therefore, colder it is.  And who is farthest from God's love?  Lucifer.  Wellp I'll take my two cents offa here.

|CoR| Tîwele

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 01:04:37 PM »
CS Lewis' Screwtape Letters were also very good.
To my knowledge of last reading that book, it only dealt with demons in worldly affairs. I don’t think that one really gave much on the nature of hell or heaven. It was however a very interesting view on how manipulation can go on.
Tîwele ^
"You wrote that the world doesn't need a savior, but every day I hear people crying for one." - Superman Returns

|CoR| Chineez

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 04:07:53 PM »
ok i guess nobody is going to post about this book or about hell.... :icon_rolleyes: oh well.
God bless!
-Matt

Eat babies. Go pro.

Maccabees

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 04:34:50 PM »
i did, Giovanni Boccaccio wrote Dante's.

|CoR| Chineez

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 04:40:33 PM »
oops i shouldnt have wrote nobody's. thank you maccabees for that post.
God bless!
-Matt

Eat babies. Go pro.

{~12~} Zion

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 04:49:00 PM »
I have been meaning to read the Inferno for a while but I haven't gotten around to it. From what I have heard it is a good read though and know that the ideas of Hell and the divisions are thought provoking.
Adam Hairfield
Zion

|CoR| Knight Of Virtue

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »
the Bible doesn't really talk much about hell. But I figure the hardest part is the permananant seperation from God after you know how much he loves and cares about you and that you know it's your own fault your seperated.
In Christ
        Michael

Merlin

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 09:18:37 PM »
Ive read the Divine Inferno, hard reading but very good, I think it displays very good depicitons of us of Heaven, purgatory and Hell, I enjoyed it.

|CoR| Silver

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 04:57:28 AM »
*looks at the dead thread*

*throws a link to a dante's inferno quiz out*

http://www.4degreez.com/misc/dante-inferno-test.mv

Date Registered:  December 19, 2005, 11:30:11 AM

Crossbearer

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 09:55:32 PM »
The ap english class had to read dante's inferno in highschool, and then had to write their own versions of Hell in a 20 page paper for the teacher.... I like english, but there was no way I was taking that class.  The walls of that class room had "welcome to the inferno" painted on the wall by the students, and they did it because the teacher wanted them to.  she scared me.

Are you going to go on and read the other two books that go wiht inferno?  I think they're purgatorio and paradisio but i'm not sure.

Cloud^

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 01:10:02 AM »
The ap english class had to read dante's inferno in highschool, and then had to write their own versions of Hell in a 20 page paper for the teacher.... I like english, but there was no way I was taking that class.  The walls of that class room had "welcome to the inferno" painted on the wall by the students, and they did it because the teacher wanted them to.  she scared me.

Are you going to go on and read the other two books that go wiht inferno?  I think they're purgatorio and paradisio but i'm not sure.

Haha dude our teacher and class did the same thing.  Lol small world.  Yeah the next ones are purgatorio and paradisio both very good reads.

"We are uninvited guests...in this melancholy world...as soon you'll learn...That the only thing left to treasure...are the people that actually care.  Then why are there...still tears in your eyes?"

Crossbearer

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 07:43:56 AM »
nice :)  What was the teachers name, cause if it was the same i'm gonna lik ebe lookin out my window!  lol my schools was mrs. watkins