An atheist response to the Discovery Institute. - |CoR| City of Refuge

News:

We have a new forums theme. This theme is mobile responsive and SEO compliant. The last one was not.
|CoR| Staff

|CoR| Crutch

Re: An atheist response to the Discovery Institute.
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2007, 09:01:19 AM »
Ok Newman, your right, new thread time. I wanna talk about this more.

|CoR| Cool_Hand_Luke

« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2007, 09:08:03 AM »
Good discussion.
Grace & Peace,

Pastor Dade Ronan
|CoR| Pres-Cool_Hand_Luke
Acts 2:38
http://daderonan.com

|CoR| Crutch

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2007, 11:30:50 AM »
I feel that God made our reality. He had to. Because before God was nothing, because there is nothing before God. He created this box for us, to exist in, and so that we can comprehend our surroundings. It helps us stay sane. So in this Box that God created, there are laws. Some we get, others were are working on. So yes, I feel that God uses nature for his will. It was done with the Ark, and multiple times through the Bible. They have natural explanations, so its up to us to believe. Its where faith comes into play.

In my heart, I find comfort in our ignorance and lack of ability to figure out the universe. I think its beneficial that we don't get to big for our britches. 2000 years ago, your next meal wasn't promised, and faith was allot easier to hold. In strife, hardships, and oppression, Christianity flourishes. Its when we feel we don't need God, thats when we fall.

I guess what I am saying is, God does things for a reason and even if we have "explanations" for why they happened, they are still miracles.
I don't believe in evolution because it seems to me that there is only two sets of life on this planet. The ones that live now, and the ones unbridged in the past that we dig up. The Bible has an explanation for them as well.

I once asked God if Becky was the one he wanted me to be with. I asked for God to please give me a sign, one that someone as dumb as me could see. He put a perfect ring around the moon.  No other clouds in the sky. This to me was a miracle. Can you scientifically explain it? Sure, but I won't hear it.

Newman

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2007, 11:34:36 PM »
Now that's a post I can get behind.

I agree we should never get prideful with our scientific knowledge.  We have figured out quite a few things, but compared to the vast amount of things around us, we know precious little.  One of my personal favorites are birds - we can go to the moon, dive to the ocean floor, and yet a simple bird is more complex than anything we can create.

Just because we understand something, doesn't mean we cease to live in wonder of it.  We may know how hot the stars are, or how far away from us they are - but it doesn't mean you'll be any less amazed by just staring up at the sky on a clear summer night.  God has made an incredible creation, and the more I learn, the more I am humbled and in awe of Him.
I'm looking at you, muwhahaha!!!

Merlin

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2007, 11:07:37 AM »
What is your stance on human cloning I am curious.

Newman

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2007, 11:11:21 AM »
In theory I don't really have a problem with cloning (souls will be unique), but in reality I have a problem with the risks inherent in cloning.  If you end up with "failures" that have to be destroyed, that's unacceptable and it should be banned (in my view, those "failures" are human beings).  If you could clone perfectly and there were no side-effects, I suppose I wouldn't have a big problem with it.

But I also don't see why the regular way of making new humans is a problem - are we running out of humans or something that we have to start cloning them as well?

Not sure if you were asking me, or where in the world that question came from, but that's my 2 cents.

Merlin

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2007, 11:14:34 AM »
Came from
I agree we should never get prideful with our scientific knowledge.

Some people would take the stance that it is trying to 'play' the role of God, that we should leave creation alone.  Personally I feel where we need to take advantage of cloning is in the cloning of essential body parts/organs, no more waiting for a name on a donor transplant list for a heart, we can clone you a brand new one! 

Newman

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2007, 11:22:38 AM »
Came from
I agree we should never get prideful with our scientific knowledge.

Some people would take the stance that it is trying to 'play' the role of God, that we should leave creation alone.  Personally I feel where we need to take advantage of cloning is in the cloning of essential body parts/organs, no more waiting for a name on a donor transplant list for a heart, we can clone you a brand new one! 

I'm with you there - that would be a great advancement if we could really do it.