News:

We have a new forums theme. This theme is mobile responsive and SEO compliant. The last one was not.
|CoR| Staff

|CoR| Vette

Question for Merlin
« on: May 28, 2007, 01:32:51 PM »
I think I can summarize the entire Catholic-Protestant debate with one single question:

Is it possible for someone to read the Bible, and only the Bible, and be saved?
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought! My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

|CoR| Gamil

Re: Question for Merlin
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 12:26:41 AM »
gotta be careful there Vette, the Catholic Bible has a few extra books in it.

here's something I found which talks about the Apocrypha. http://www.bible.ca/b-canon-orthodox-catholic-christian-bible-books.htm

It;s a bit off topic, but those books can make it almost impossible for a catholic to answer the question.

Playstation Network ID: Gamil
SWTOR: Server: Shadow Hand Character: Gamil

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 08:53:05 AM »
No, it's not impossible for a Catholic to answer, because the Catholic answer is "no".
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought! My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

|CoR| Cool_Hand_Luke

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 10:55:10 AM »
No, it's not impossible for a Catholic to answer, because the Catholic answer is "no".

That is the same answer that Mormons , Jehovah Witnesses, Christian Science, Scientology, Islam, and every other religion will give.
Grace & Peace,

Pastor Dade Ronan
|CoR| Pres-Cool_Hand_Luke
Acts 2:38
http://daderonan.com

|CoR| El Dorko

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 01:15:01 PM »
that question makes no sense to me, cant you be saved by accepting christ as your lord and savior?
if yes then you dont have to read the bible

"Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

|CoR| Cool_Hand_Luke

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 02:35:37 PM »
that question makes no sense to me, cant you be saved by accepting christ as your lord and savior?
if yes then you dont have to read the bible

That's not the question.  The question is if you had only read the Bible, could you get saved by just reading it.
Grace & Peace,

Pastor Dade Ronan

|CoR| fps_ryan

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 05:01:30 PM »
wat exactly do catholics believe then? i dont really know anything about it

Ryan

K-Dog

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 07:26:43 PM »
>That's not the question.  The question is if you had only read the Bible, could you get saved by just reading it.

Heady stuff for my first post.  (My son turned me on to this forum.)

The answer to this question is that the act of reading only the Bible has no saving efficacy in and of itself, just like infant baptism has no ability to convert a child into a Christian.  However, all the information one needs to understand and act upon in order to become a Christian can be found in the Bible, even if that was the only book that one had available for them to read. 

The misunderstandings many Christian doctrines, such as the role of baptism, the role of the community of believers called "the church", the role of the priest before and after Christ, etc., these misunderstandings have led to great division in the Christian community.  One of the greatest divisions is the rift between Roman Catholics and Protestants.  For the Roman Catholic, church tradition and the idea that the pope and his opinions are "infallible" (a doctrine that emerged after the reformation), are both placed on equal footing with the God-inspired scriptures. This places the Pope on equal footing with God himself ! For the believer who is seeking to know God, there is but one final authority on spiritual matters;  The Bible.  This doctrine is so fundamental that the apostle Paul himself told Christians to even examine *his* writings, and compare them to scripture and see if he was telling them the truth, and to reject him if they found fault in his words.

Examine 1 Timothy 2:1-7.  There is but one mediator (can be replaced with the word "priest") between God and man . . . There is no need, none whatsoever, for a Catholic "minister" to act as a priest.  In fact, based on this passage, I would suggest that if asked about it today, Paul would condemn the practice because it replaces Christ in one of the pivotal roles that Christ plays.  He not only paid the penalty for human sin, He acts as the only priest man needs to reach God.  Further proof is Christ's own words in John 10, where He claims to be God and equates himself with God the Father, and in John 14:6 where Jesus says that nobody gets to God the Father except through him.

K-Dog

|CoR| Gamil

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 07:36:31 PM »
//sorry for being a bit off topic, once again but

jsut to clarify what my Dad posted, he's responding to the initial question, not what fps_ryan asked. But it might help fps_ryan a bit.

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 07:41:45 PM »
wat exactly do catholics believe then? i dont really know anything about it

They believe in a whole long list of requirements for salvation.  I posted it in another thread, I'll see if I can dig it up and repost it.

Merlin

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2007, 06:39:36 PM »
Ok guys sorry working 14 hr shifts a day I have not had much time, ok I see this thread was directed at me so what is the original question that we would like to focus on?

|CoR| Legolas

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 08:23:08 PM »
I think I can summarize the entire Catholic-Protestant debate with one single question:

Is it possible for someone to read the Bible, and only the Bible, and be saved?

|CoR| Legolas*GI*     
*STAR* and *PiG* Official Member.

**Eleet computer builder club - 7 Fan Wonder**

Parents need to cowboy up.

Chuck Norris is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

Merlin

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 10:44:57 PM »
Is it possible for someone NOT to read the Bible and be saved?  What did people do to be saved before the Catholic church put the Bible together?

Newman

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 10:51:26 PM »
Is it possible for someone NOT to read the Bible and be saved?  What did people do to be saved before the Catholic church put the Bible together?

That wasn't the question - start a new thread if you want to take up a new topic.  If you can't answer the original question, just say so.
I'm looking at you, muwhahaha!!!

Merlin

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2007, 10:52:44 PM »
Ok I am not God I cant tell you whether or not someone can be saved by reading the Bible or not.  Thats my answer, heres my questions again Is it possible for someone NOT to read the Bible and be saved?  What did people do to be saved before the Catholic church put the Bible together?

Newman

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 11:02:24 PM »
Ok I am not God I cant tell you whether or not someone can be saved by reading the Bible or not.  Thats my answer, heres my questions again Is it possible for someone NOT to read the Bible and be saved?  What did people do to be saved before the Catholic church put the Bible together?

The question is not just what you personally believe, but what Catholicism teaches - are there requirements to be saved that must be accomplished, that require extra knowledge than comes from the Bible? 

Come on Merlin, you're coming across as if you don't really know the exact teachings of Catholicism (nor do you really care on this subject) - you basically have no clue what we are getting at.  I'd recommend you actually think about the questions posed here, do a little research on what you supposedly believe, and then think about responding.

I only say that because... this debate shouldn't be about taking sides (which it has become), it should be about the *issue*.  Cop-out answers like you gave are the sort of tit-for-tat responses that I would give people when arguing about how Microsoft was better than Apple in the 7th grade.  You'll be angry with this post and think I'm a jerk - but seriously, none of this is going anywhere.  When you had your mentor on here, at least he could convey what Catholicism actually teaches in some of these cases (and I can guarantee you, it's not, "Well, I don't have any clue, God knows and that's that.").

And if you're just tired... well, get some sweet sleep man! :P
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 12:09:28 AM by Newman »

|CoR| Cool_Hand_Luke

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2007, 11:16:30 PM »
You had posted somewhere that you just came off of working like 14 hour days or something like that.  Maybe your tired and need some sleep.  Get some well deserved rest you workaholic, think about and then come back and repost.  I know from your previous posts that you can come up with a better answer.

The question goes along the same lines as, "If an Amazon Pigmy was given a Bible, could he get saved by simply reading , believing, and acting upon the Bible's message of accepting Jesus as Lord and Savior with out any other influences or outside communication." 

Given that the Bible was written in Pig Latin...lol   Little pastoral humor there.  Don't worry, I don't do it very often...my wife won't let me.
Grace & Peace,

Pastor Dade Ronan

Merlin

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 07:21:18 PM »
Ok heres some quotes from the CCC 81-87
"Sacred Scripture is the speech of God as it is put down in writing under the breath of the Holy Spirit."42

"And [Holy] Tradition transmits in its entirety the Word of God which has been entrusted to the apostles by Christ the Lord and the Holy Spirit. It transmits it to the successors of the apostles so that, enlightened by the Spirit of truth, they may faithfully preserve, expound and spread it abroad by their preaching."43
  82 As a result the Church, to whom the transmission and interpretation of Revelation is entrusted, "does not derive her certainty about all revealed truths from the holy Scriptures alone. Both Scripture and Tradition must be accepted and honored with equal sentiments of devotion and reverence."44

Apostolic Tradition and ecclesial traditions

83 The Tradition here in question comes from the apostles and hands on what they received from Jesus' teaching and example and what they learned from the Holy Spirit. The first generation of Christians did not yet have a written New Testament, and the New Testament itself demonstrates the process of living Tradition.
  Tradition is to be distinguished from the various theological, disciplinary, liturgical or devotional traditions, born in the local churches over time. These are the particular forms, adapted to different places and times, in which the great Tradition is expressed. In the light of Tradition, these traditions can be retained, modified or even abandoned under the guidance of the Church's Magisterium.

III. THE INTERPRETATION OF THE HERITAGE OF FAITH

The heritage of faith entrusted to the whole of the Church
  84 The apostles entrusted the "Sacred deposit" of the faith (the depositum fidei),45 contained in Sacred Scripture and Tradition, to the whole of the Church. "By adhering to [this heritage] the entire holy people, united to its pastors, remains always faithful to the teaching of the apostles, to the brotherhood, to the breaking of bread and the prayers. So, in maintaining, practicing and professing the faith that has been handed on, there should be a remarkable harmony between the bishops and the faithful."46

The Magisterium of the Church
  85 "The task of giving an authentic interpretation of the Word of God, whether in its written form or in the form of Tradition, has been entrusted to the living teaching office of the Church alone. Its authority in this matter is exercised in the name of Jesus Christ."47 This means that the task of interpretation has been entrusted to the bishops in communion with the successor of Peter, the Bishop of Rome.

86 "Yet this Magisterium is not superior to the Word of God, but is its servant. It teaches only what has been handed on to it. At the divine command and with the help of the Holy Spirit, it listens to this devotedly, guards it with dedication and expounds it faithfully. All that it proposes for belief as being divinely revealed is drawn from this single deposit of faith."48

87 Mindful of Christ's words to his apostles: "He who hears you, hears me",49 the faithful receive with docility the teachings and directives that their pastors give them in different forms.

131-133
V. SACRED SCRIPTURE IN THE LIFE OF THE CHURCH

131 "And such is the force and power of the Word of God that it can serve the Church as her support and vigor, and the children of the Church as strength for their faith, food for the soul, and a pure and lasting fount of spiritual life."109 Hence "access to Sacred Scripture ought to be open wide to the Christian faithful."110

132 "Therefore, the study of the sacred page should be the very soul of sacred theology. The ministry of the Word, too - pastoral preaching, catechetics and all forms of Christian instruction, among which the liturgical homily should hold pride of place - is healthily nourished and thrives in holiness through the Word of Scripture."111

133 The Church "forcefully and specifically exhorts all the Christian faithful. . . to learn the surpassing knowledge of Jesus Christ, by frequent reading of the divine Scriptures. Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ.112

That is what the church teaches, now my first question is this, is it the Bible that saves us or is it God's grace that saves us? (Your question seems to imply that it is mandate to read the bible for salvation correct me if I am mistaken)  If you say reading the Bible is a must to be saved, are you saying that those who cannot read the Bible cannot be saved?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 07:33:45 PM by |CoR| Merlin »

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2007, 07:51:12 PM »
Stop changing the subject and answer the original question.

Merlin

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 09:17:05 PM »
I answered the original question now answer my questions bullet.

Newman

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 09:33:25 PM »
You posted a bunch of copied stuff from Catholic sources... you didn't answer the specific question.  You would be a great politician, but for crying out loud, answer the question directly - either *yes* or *no*!

If somebody was cut off from society, not knowing anything about Christianity or anything like that, and only had a Bible in his possession - is it even  *possible* for him to be saved, according to Catholicism?

From what most of us have read, Catholicism says that this answer is "No" - based upon the various requirements related to "tradition" that the Catholic church imposes.  If you say that somebody can get saved using just the Bible, then it means the other things the Catholic church requires aren't really requirements after all.  So be careful how you answer, this is an important question (if you don't know, ask that mentor of yours - he can probably give a straight answer).

For the 5th time, answer the question!!

Merlin

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2007, 10:03:26 PM »
Newman,

I posted a bunch of "stuff' from the Catechism of the Catholic Church about Scripture.  I researched the exact question "Is it possible for someone to read the Bible, and only the Bible, and be saved?" and I cant find what the Catholic Church teaches about that exact question.  The Catechism does not say anything so I believe this means if the Church has no official standing on it its up to your belief about this particular question.  -Pax Christi
  Now how about you answer MY questions for the 8th time!!!!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 10:06:24 PM by |CoR| Merlin »

Hong Kong Phooey

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2007, 10:32:11 PM »
Merlin... buddy.. you do more side stepping than someone doing the Texas Two Step.

For crying out loud..... when someone asks you a direct yes or now question they want your opinion or belief in a direct yes or no answer.  They don't want you to side step it with quotes that leave things unanswered and ambiguous.

If you can't give such a direct answer and be prepared to back it up, then perhaps you shouldn't be engaged in such conversations until you are better prepared?

There is a major issue being addressed in the question posed to you but rather than  answer it you seem to choose to hide behind quotes of scripture as if that is the answer.  It's not. 

No disrespect meant buddy... but if you are uncomfortable with answering this question perhaps you could seek guidance from someone you trust to help you out with it?

:icon_biggrin:

*edit* 
1st time, 8th time, what ever...  bottom line is if you would simply address the 1st question posed to you there would be nothing after that.  So forget about the 8th time, get back to the 1st time. :icon_biggrin:
Tonight I want to bite the heads off small kittens
I only pick on HKP because he's a dork.

Merlin

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2007, 10:47:49 PM »
Hong Kong maybe you should read better? requote
I researched the exact question "Is it possible for someone to read the Bible, and only the Bible, and be saved?" and I cant find what the Catholic Church teaches about that exact question.  The Catechism does not say anything so I believe this means if the Church has no official standing on it its up to your belief about this particular question.  -Pax Christi

Gah Batman I forgot to bring my anti-flamethrower suit!!!  Now would someone care to answer my questions?  If you are saying that reading the Bible is what saves you, does that mean that people that CANT read the Bible have no means to get saved?  What did people do to get 'saved' before the Catholic Church put the Bible together?  Answers to my questions please, thank you drive through.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 10:52:35 PM by |CoR| Merlin »

|CoR| Legolas

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2007, 10:53:32 PM »
I researched the exact question "Is it possible for someone to read the Bible, and only the Bible, and be saved?" and I cant find what the Catholic Church teaches about that exact question.  The Catechism does not say anything so I believe this means if the Church has no official standing on it its up to your belief about this particular question.  -Pax Christi

Gah Batman I forgot to bring my anti-flamethrower suit!!!  Now would someone care to answer my questions?  If you are saying that reading the Bible is what saves you, does that mean that people that CANT read the Bible have no means to get saved?  What did people do to get 'saved' before the Catholic Church put the Bible together?  Answers to my questions please, thank you drive through.

so then what do you believe...

yes, you can be saved with only the Bible...or no, you can't?
|CoR| Legolas*GI*     
*STAR* and *PiG* Official Member.

**Eleet computer builder club - 7 Fan Wonder**

Parents need to cowboy up.

Chuck Norris is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

|CoR| Gamil

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2007, 10:55:31 PM »
Newman,

I posted a bunch of "stuff' from the Catechism of the Catholic Church about Scripture.  I researched the exact question "Is it possible for someone to read the Bible, and only the Bible, and be saved?" and I cant find what the Catholic Church teaches about that exact question.  The Catechism does not say anything so I believe this means if the Church has no official standing on it its up to your belief about this particular question.  -Pax Christi
  Now how about you answer MY questions for the 8th time!!!!

please don't tell me that you just googled the question and can't find any Catholic responses to it. It's not a question that would be in a FAQ. What we are asking is that if a person had a copy of the Holy Bible, and no other spiritual resources (whether they be other people, other documents, or anything) could that person make changes and decision in his/her live and come to accept Christ as his savior and be saved.

Imagine a man, who had absolutely no previous knowledge of any religion or religious beliefs, stranded on an island all alone, and the only thing he had was a bible, could that man be saved.

Personally I think that history answers the question. Look what happened in the churches once the bible was in a form which the common person could read. People started reading the Bible for themselves and applying what is said to their lives according to what it said, and not what they were told it said at Mass on Sunday. Suddenly you have massive religious movements and groups of people being expatriated and excommunicated because they no longer went along with the church. Get a book called "Jesus Freaks" Is a publication by Voice of the Martyrs, and just look at the dates, look at who's being prosecuted and who is the prosecutor. The theme which is most common is late 1500's early 1600's, a commoner who has read the bible for him/herself and changed according to it's words is being prosecuted, and the church is the prosecutor.

But, having someone who can help you to even just think out what the words in the Bible mean will make it a lot easier to understand, and therefore easier to accept Jesus' sacrifice.

Gah Batman I forgot to bring my anti-flamethrower suit!!!

And again, like Hong Kong just said, you researched what the Catholic Church says on the subject, rather than giving your own opinion. Are you really so Catholic that you will just accept what someone else says becasue he is in a higher position in the church than you, rather than think it out yourself, and formulate your own opinion. That is exactly what the Church tries to accomplish. The Catholic church doesn't want it's members to be free thinkers who will study God's word for themselves, but rather who will just accept the Churches position on things. Even the popes don't think very freely, They just follow the actions of a previous pope. And in articles and documents they just restate what others have said, but in different words.

Merlin

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2007, 11:03:04 PM »
From Gamil
The Catholic church doesn't want it's members to be free thinkers who will study God's word for themselves, but rather who will just accept the Churches position on things. Even the popes don't think very freely, They just follow the actions of a previous pope. And in articles and documents they just restate what others have said, but in different words.
Gamil this just goes to prove that you know NOTHING about Catholicism and how it works so please don't make statements out of your ear when you dont know what you are talking about.  THEY WANTED TO KNOW WHAT THE CATHOLIC CHURCH TAUGHT NOT WHAT MY PERSONAL OPINION WAS AND I GAVE ANSWERS TO BOTH.  IF a man was stranded on a ISLAND WITH NO BIBLE COULD HE BE SAVED?/?? WHY DOES HE NEED A BIBLE Gamil...
  OH wait thats right let me use your line of thinking. By the way the Catholic church always since the dawn of Church people to read the Bible maybe you didn't read the quotes from the CCC?  I'm assuming not by your post.  But thats right YOUR method of making myself my OWN POPE AND slapping the teaching system Jesus gave us and told us to listen to is just ludicrous, why Listen to the Church that Jesus gave us when I can interpret for myself and make my own rules and live my life how I want, psssh the Apostles were useless Jesus should have just said think and interpret how you want live and be free screw the Church!  Oh wait because utter Chaos would erupt and you would have all these whacked out protestant denominations like we do today sprouting denominations and church after Church on some pastors whim how he thinks things should be interpreted even though he is NO AUTHORITY to interpret scripture BOTTOM LINE.  -Thank you drive through.
  So based on Genesis 1:1 I am starting the Church of Merlin, I interpret that God says I can do what I want and im not subject to sin or any guidelines I don't have to listen to anything I do what I want.  You cant tell me my interpretation of scripture is not correct because its my interpretation and everyone should interpret for themselves and this is perfectly acceptable everyone should be like this.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 11:17:56 PM by |CoR| Merlin »

Newman

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2007, 11:03:56 PM »

Gah Batman I forgot to bring my anti-flamethrower suit!!!

Merlin, I think we were hoping you would do a little interpretation of your own - we're not asking you to be a Catholic search engine.

I thought you knew a fair amount about Catholicism, enough that you could answer questions like we have here even if you couldn't find them listed in a Catholic FAQ book.  We're not flaming you, I think people misunderstood and thought you were just holding out on us - it sounds like you simply don't know enough about Catholicism to answer, fair enough.

Hong Kong Phooey

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2007, 11:07:41 PM »

Maybe you should read my question... the whole point of it was to communicate the need for you to give your opinion on a specific question.. with a yes or no answer ... and yet you still, yet again, bypass answering with yet another question :icon_confused: :doh!:

Wow... now I understand better the frustration of trying to rationalize some things.  It's a simple question Merlin.  No slight of words to trick you up, no double meaning.. just a simple question asking for YOUR opinion with a yes or no answer.

If you can't give an answer simply say so... but once again, for crying out loud, quit dancing around the question.  I must tell you that the more you do that the more it detracts from the credibility of your arguments (think politics, you'll understand what I mean).
Tonight I want to bite the heads off small kittens
I only pick on HKP because he's a dork.

Merlin

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2007, 11:09:10 PM »
Newman,

I do know quite a bit about Catholocism, the question is 2 vague and 2 broad to just say yes or no, its more complex then that.  My personal opinion is NO you dont have to read the Bible to be saved, the Bible wasnt around for over 300 years after Jesus' ascension and people heard about salvation through the preaching of the gospel by the Apostles and through the Church.  There are other avenues of salvation God gave us besides "reading the Bible"
  Hong kong, talk about dancing around the question how about they way that EVERY single one of you nEVER respond to my questions??????