A law going thru congress - |CoR| City of Refuge

News:

We have a new forums theme. This theme is mobile responsive and SEO compliant. The last one was not.
|CoR| Staff

KRIEG

A law going thru congress
« on: June 15, 2007, 01:55:48 PM »
Prune Juice.  A warrior's drink.

Stain.

Re: A law going thru congress
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 02:56:28 PM »
Irony.

They are filing a law to inhibit a Christian view on homosexuality, calling it a "hate crime".  I'm going to file a "hate crime" law suit should this go thru.  Claim "freedom of speech" and other civil liberties.

Fools.
Evga 680i A1 | e6600 @ (testing oc's) | 7900gs ko | G.Skill 2x2gb 800mhz 4.5.4.15 | antec trio 550w | zalman 9500at | WD se16 250GB | WD 500gb | Seagate 500gb | p180b (modded) (1.25tb)
Just gestimate where the bomb-site is, and hold the action button - R4nger
I dropped my stupid phone in the toilet.... - R4nger
**Eleet computer builder club - Master builder**
Need a PC, send me a pm/email.  I'll build it for ya.
1TB Club | 80gb club
Need someone prank'd?  Hit me up.
crutch - All you gotta do is throw a twinkie on the ground and I'm done.
Anti DB Squad.
I flirt.

|CoR| Tîwele

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 04:03:38 PM »
Sounds like something out of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 where critical thought is suppressed. Or something out of 1984. Either way
Tîwele ^
"You wrote that the world doesn't need a savior, but every day I hear people crying for one." - Superman Returns

|CoR| Shocknat

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 10:47:30 PM »
That is basically taking away part of your freedom of speech and freedom of religion. the Bible talks bad about homosexuality. Are those going to be taken away b/c of that?

"Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded."
The man can't lift his arms anymore after all that he has given to this country. The media can show pictures of him beating seals with clubs and I am still voting for him.

|CoR| Xphile

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 10:53:30 PM »
Didn't something like this happen in Canada a while back?
Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. 2GB account is free! http://db.tt/f9OzdnS

|CoR| Tîwele

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 11:30:21 PM »
I believe so, I'm not a 100% sure but I think they have a law where you can go to jail for saying something bad against gay/homosexuals.
Tîwele ^
"You wrote that the world doesn't need a savior, but every day I hear people crying for one." - Superman Returns

datank

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 03:53:01 PM »
Sounds like the Matthew Sheperd law...

Doesn't bother me any... don't think I'll be going around beating any Homosexuals... and I think that if you can prove that it was a beating because they were homosexual then it is a hate crime, plain and simple...

to quote "Amends the federal criminal code to prohibit willfully causing bodily injury to any person because of the actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability of such person. Amends the Hate Crimes Statistics Act to expand data collection and reporting requirements under such Act to include: (1) crimes manifesting prejudice based on gender and gender identity; and (2) hate crimes committed by and against juveniles. "

I don't hear anything about "H.R. 1592 is ultimately a Thought Crimes law which aims to silence biblical Judeo-Christian speech and beliefs about homosexuality and “transgenderism.”"

Sorry but I think that any Christian who would beat a person because of their sexual orientation really needs to reread the Gospels...
"There is no real reason for half of the threads created on this forum." - me

|CoR| Teb:
I'm locking this.  There is no real reason for this thread.

Guardian

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 08:37:28 PM »
I'm not exactly sure what to think of this just yet.

Do I think AFA gets a little carried away at times?  Yeah, big time.  (In fact, I'd say some of their issues are borderline nuts... but whatever).

But they sometimes do get things at least a little right.

I'm not sure if they have this right or not.  Based on the reading, I am getting the same impression as datank.  That this involves acts of violence committed on the premise of discrimination.  Only issue with that is why would this law even be necessary then?  "Crimes are illegal if they're based on prejudice!"  Well, crimes are illegal already?  I am really curious as to just what they would intend to use this law for.  Afterall, it isn't exactly uncommon to really stretch the interpretation of a specific law to fit political agenda.

Peace and God Bless!
~Brandon D. Watts
~Guardian
~General of *FR*, |CoR|
When men cease to believe in God, they do not thereafter believe in nothing, they then become capable of believing anything. - G.K. Chesterton

|CoR| Xphile

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 08:45:18 PM »
Only issue with that is why would this law even be necessary then?  "Crimes are illegal if they're based on prejudice!"  Well, crimes are illegal already?  I am really curious as to just what they would intend to use this law for.

Exactly! It's already illegal so why is this law needed and why specify those groups mentioned? Is it worse to beat up someone because they are homosexual as opposed to beating up someone because you don't like the way they part their hair or because they used a blue hanky to wipe their nose? Seems to me this amounts to giving special protection to a group of people based on their chosen sin.
Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. 2GB account is free! http://db.tt/f9OzdnS

datank

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 12:55:08 AM »
I truly believe that this is in response to Matthew Shepherd...

I don't know what I believe in terms of chosen sin, or not sin in regards to homosexuality...

But I do know that if you can prove that a person was beaten because of hate (and not because of any other reason) that they should be charged with a hate crime... For instance, if I, a 23 y.o. straight white male, was only killed because I'm straight, or white, or male, the person who killed me should be charged with the hate crimes statute... thus I am for this bill as it appears in the website mentioned...
"There is no real reason for half of the threads created on this forum." - me

|CoR| Teb:
I'm locking this.  There is no real reason for this thread.

|CoR| MeeSHaK

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 09:18:51 AM »

Not yet, I mean about the only thing that was close to this was a bill that was getting draw up to make Pastors have to wed Homosexual couples (because that is legal up here).  Meaning that legally they could not turn them down because it infringed upon their beliefs.
"God is most Glorified in you when you are most satisfied in Him, in the midst of loss not prosperity." - John Piper

Crossbearer

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 07:56:45 AM »
That last bit is just stupid,  Forcing apastor to wed a homosexual couple?  It's not like pastors hold a monopoly on marryign people every town has a town justice that can perform the same wedding ceremony and legally marry two people, assuming it's legal for those two people to actually be married.  Making it illegal for a pastor to marry people infringes up onthat pastors right to religious freedom doesn't it?

and I don't see anyting in this bill that has anything about thoughts, or speech even.  it doesnt' say youc an't speak to or against homosexuality, just that you cannot commit a crime against a homosexual person because they are homosexual.