News:

We have a new forums theme. This theme is mobile responsive and SEO compliant. The last one was not.
|CoR| Staff

|CoR| Silent Assassin

Re: If you thought The Da Vinci Code was bad, hear this
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 08:59:04 PM »
thats messed up

:flag_canada:
**Eleet Computer Builder - Nerd/Geek Relations Intern**

|CoR| Gamil

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 05:31:51 PM »
isn't Angels and Demons OLDER than Da Vinci Code

Playstation Network ID: Gamil
SWTOR: Server: Shadow Hand Character: Gamil

Stain.

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 06:04:46 PM »
What's to be of people who are not saved?  They'll mock christianity.

How is it tho, that YOUR catholic page said "an attack against the church" and not an attack against God?

Just wondering... You don't have to answer.. as a matter of fact, you won't answer because you know that the answer is "you value the church more than God".

Again, just asking a question.
Evga 680i A1 | e6600 @ (testing oc's) | 7900gs ko | G.Skill 2x2gb 800mhz 4.5.4.15 | antec trio 550w | zalman 9500at | WD se16 250GB | WD 500gb | Seagate 500gb | p180b (modded) (1.25tb)
Just gestimate where the bomb-site is, and hold the action button - R4nger
I dropped my stupid phone in the toilet.... - R4nger
**Eleet computer builder club - Master builder**
Need a PC, send me a pm/email.  I'll build it for ya.
1TB Club | 80gb club
Need someone prank'd?  Hit me up.
crutch - All you gotta do is throw a twinkie on the ground and I'm done.
Anti DB Squad.
I flirt.

Crossbearer

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 06:34:31 PM »
I saw the da vinci code, actually i own it cause i won it at the movie theater, not by choice i missed themovie i wanted and got the da vinci code instead and honestly i'm glad I saw it.  NOw before nayone calls me a heretic i don't believe a word of it, except perhaps that joke about the two colleges that ian mckellan makes.  I'm a writer, i write novels and i thought that the da vinci code was a great story from a story point of view.  It is heretical in most of the doctrine it presents if not all of it, i don' tthink it was anti catholic so much as the catholic sect of opus dei, which i've read up abotu a little and i think a lot of the things that they do are just really... well if nothign mor epainful, but instead of getting oru backs all arched up and makign a big stink about it we should take a different approach.

We should read the book/ watch the movie, not beacuse we want to support the people who make it, don't buy htem check them out of a public library or somethign but this is the mediat that the world is seeing guys... we need to know what they are seeing because the next time you talk t osomeone baout Christ the da vinci code may be all they've ever heard and we need to know a. what it says, b, how to react to it positively, c, the couterpoints that are actually true, and d, how to have an intelligent conversati naout something that may all out attack your faith.

If we just bind up and get angry over somone attacking what we believe in how can we be effective at counteracting what the world is saying?  All they see is someoen insecure abotu their believes because they cannot handle someone saying something different.  We need ot nkow so we can reach the peopel who really do believe thing slike the da vinci code, because no matter how much of a fuss we put up, lets face it, the demons who are trying so desperately to stop our cause are not goig to just take a break and stop fighting. 

|CoR| Gamil

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 09:27:49 PM »
hey, crossbearer, are you ok? your typing is really off compared to other posts of yours.

Crossbearer

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 09:38:57 PM »
Sorry, when I'm tryin to type fast my computer can't keep up with my fingers, b ut for somereason the spacebar always gets entered right where i am so if i type in a word too fast for the buffer and hit space it puts it before the last letter usually.... or maybe i'm just hitting it a little too soon, either way, when i try to go fast my spaces end up in not quite the right place.

Sorry sorry  :icon_redface: i just try to go too fast

|CoR| Gamil

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 09:43:46 PM »
lol get a little excited? No need to appologize. I can understand. I tend to type too fast as well. Maybe you have noticed I tend to type 'jsut' instead of 'just' a lot. Make a post in nerdville about your computer maybe we can help you get it to keep up with your typing.

Crossbearer

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 09:50:13 PM »
Last time I timed myself I was typing at 111 wordds a minute after i took off all the words i errored in.... between notes and papers and homework for college, and my own novel writing and i.m. and such, i get a lot of practice  :icon_eek:  I'll check out nerdville tomorrow though, tonight I need sleep :)

interesting thought though .. acording to a study my cousin sent me from i cna't remember what college, as long as a typed word has the first letter and last letter correct, and all of the proper letters inbetween, they can be in the wrong order and you'll still know what word it is immediately, and probably won't even notice that they're wrong.

So... usually it doesn't cost too much to mix the middles up a bit :)

|CoR| Gamil

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 01:55:36 AM »
tell ya what, I DO usually notice mistakes. I mes up a lot whni type. And no I'm not messing up on purpose this time i'm jsut not correcting my errors. It's such second nature to go back and correct them I have to force me sely not to. and who doesn't need sleep. I jsut watched shooter, and completely lost track of time... I'm gonna be exhausted tomorrow.

Merlin

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 07:42:22 AM »
Consider these examples of the heresies and blasphemies with which The Da Vinci Code was rife:

·        Jesus is not God. He was only a man.

·        Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene.

·        Mary Magdalene is to be worshiped as a goddess.

·        Jesus got Mary Magdalene pregnant, and the two had a daughter.

·        That daughter gave rise to a prominent family line that is still present in Europe today.

·        The Bible was put together by a pagan Roman emperor.

·        Jesus was viewed as a man and not as God until the fourth century, when he was deified by the Emperor Constantine.

·        The Gospels have been edited to support the claims of later Christians.

·        In the original Gospels, Mary Magdalene rather than Peter was directed to establish the Church.

·        There is a secret society known as the Priory of Sion that still worships Mary Magdalene as a goddess, and this group is trying to keep the truth alive.

·        The Catholic Church is aware of all this and has been fighting for centuries to keep it suppressed and often has committed murder to do so.

·        The Catholic Church is willing to and often has assassinated the descendents of Christ to keep his bloodline from growing too large.

No Deathwish the website doesn't point out the attacks on God at all.............

Crossbearer

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 07:48:43 AM »
something i always wanted to ask the guy who wrote this.... If Jesus isn't God, then why is Mary a goddess?  I mean it kinda makes sense that if Jesus married Mary, and no He didn't, but if such a thing had happened that you might want to worship her too, but I see no context for it at all if Jesus wasn't God to begin with

|CoR| archangel

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 11:44:17 AM »
I thought the Da Vinci Code was a great work of fiction, good characters, interesting story, and it definately was enjoyable to read.  Fiction? What seems to be the problem? If the catholic church is taking this stance against Angel and Demons, are they going to do this retroactively? If so, theres gonna be alot of protest pages on catholic.com

Novels are for entertainment so people write what will be entertaining, Dan brown being an decently smart man came up with the idea to write a story that was different than the truth and the end result was that he banked like crazy. 

Whats the issue?

Enjolras

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 12:23:14 PM »
Consider these examples of the heresies and blasphemies with which The Da Vinci Code was rife:

·        That daughter gave rise to a prominent family line that is still present in Europe today.

·        Jesus was viewed as a man and not as God until the fourth century, when he was deified by the Emperor Constantine.

·        The Gospels have been edited to support the claims of later Christians.

·        In the original Gospels, Mary Magdalene rather than Peter was directed to establish the Church.

·        There is a secret society known as the Priory of Sion that still worships Mary Magdalene as a goddess, and this group is trying to keep the truth alive.

·        The Catholic Church is aware of all this and has been fighting for centuries to keep it suppressed and often has committed murder to do so.

·        The Catholic Church is willing to and often has assassinated the descendents of Christ to keep his bloodline from growing too large.

No Deathwish the website doesn't point out the attacks on God at all.............

Merlin - 1 Death Wish - Nada
I come off as a Weirdo cry baby...AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the last time I cried was when I watched the movie AI. That kid got to me. What a horrible movie.
You should be banned from nerdville.  I'm the sheriff here in town, and there's not enough space in here for weenies.

No way am I holding another dude bevis when they have options.

Stain.

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 12:41:01 PM »

Merlin - 1 Death Wish - Nada

Are you counting where I ask him to give me biblical references to his catholic beliefs?  Correct yourself.
merlin - 1 Death Wish - 4

Again, if you can back up what your catholic church believes with biblical proof, taken in context, then you'll have ground to stand on.  As it stands now, your approach to ignoring my question leaves me in the lead.  Call me a mudslinger if you want, but you are not giving answers to what is being asked about your faith.  Doesn't the bible say "always be ready to give an account of your faith"?  Lets hear it...  I'll back mine up if/when you can back yourse up.
Evga 680i A1 | e6600 @ (testing oc's) | 7900gs ko | G.Skill 2x2gb 800mhz 4.5.4.15 | antec trio 550w | zalman 9500at | WD se16 250GB | WD 500gb | Seagate 500gb | p180b (modded) (1.25tb)
Just gestimate where the bomb-site is, and hold the action button - R4nger
I dropped my stupid phone in the toilet.... - R4nger
**Eleet computer builder club - Master builder**
Need a PC, send me a pm/email.  I'll build it for ya.
1TB Club | 80gb club
Need someone prank'd?  Hit me up.
crutch - All you gotta do is throw a twinkie on the ground and I'm done.
Anti DB Squad.
I flirt.

Merlin

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 01:33:14 PM »
From Siet,

The point is you think "Hey this is a great fiction!'  But we really need to grasp the motives and underlying OF the movie my friend, the movie TEACHES the things I highlighted about Jesus which are just plain wrong, yes it is fiction, NO it teaches it in the movie as non-fiction, its Anti-Catholic, anti-God and just plain blasphemous it makes several claims about SEVERAL things that are simply not true yet they SPIN it off to dupe the viewers into believing such things, i.e. if someone didnt know a thing about history and watched this movie they might think that
The Catholic Church is willing to and often has assassinated the descendents of Christ to keep his bloodline from growing too large.

Angels and Demons, if you even read the link I provided?  Is even more of a large-scale attack on God and the Catholic church and is just PLAIN filth, like I said IF HE MADE A MOVIE ABOUT MUSLIMS like THIS HOW MANY PROTESTS WOULD THERE BE?  WOULD THEY ALLOW IT IN THE THEATERS HOW LONG WOULD THE AUTHOR LIVE FOR?  EXACLTLY.  Lets not be so gullible to say 'its just a fictious movie' and shrug it off, do you recall the "Temptation of Jesus" movie that came out in the 70's and had all Christians in uproar????

|CoR| Legolas

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 03:06:05 PM »
The last temptation of Christ was a good movie.

While, I don't believe it to be doctrinally sound at all...I don't recall anything happening in the movie that would be considered blasphemous.
|CoR| Legolas*GI*     
*STAR* and *PiG* Official Member.

**Eleet computer builder club - 7 Fan Wonder**

Parents need to cowboy up.

Chuck Norris is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

|CoR| archangel

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 05:01:37 PM »
Merlin i fail to see your point.  Yeah its a book that is critical of the catholic church through its story, but its a story, something Dan Brown __Thought__ up.   And secondly, the da vinci code movie was hysterically boring and its more than likely going to be the same if this one happens.  Also "
  Angels and Demons, if you even read the link I provided? "  I did read it, and it looked to me like it would make for an interesting read as i like novels. 

Consequently, when you say this is an attack on Christianity and not just catholicism,  i submit to you this, from the link i "didn't" even bother to read. right?  "His first novel in this anti-Catholic series "  Yeah i definitely didn't go to that link and copy that and paste it, no, absolutely not.

As for the movie "The Temptation of Jesus", i'm definitely 19 and therefore don't have much insight into the 1970's.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 05:04:56 PM by siet »

Crossbearer

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 09:15:42 PM »
I still think we're looking at this the wrong way, and we can't judge our actions by what a group of muslims would do under a similar attack to a muslim faith, maybe someone would kill the author of a "muslim conspiracy book" but that shouldn't dictate what we do.  If you want to protest the thing being made then protest it, but I really don't think you're going to do much about it being produced and the real problem with protesting it is the very plausible temptation to protest in a way unbefitting of a follower of Christ.  And when the make/write/film/ whatever this "angels and demons," if they do, we need to read it and or watch it because it may be the only thing "teaching" joe shmoe on the street and we need to be able to counteract it.

Newman

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 12:48:19 AM »
I still think we're looking at this the wrong way, and we can't judge our actions by what a group of muslims would do under a similar attack to a muslim faith, maybe someone would kill the author of a "muslim conspiracy book" but that shouldn't dictate what we do.

I like this verse from Judges:

Quote from: Judges 6:31-32
But Joash replied to the hostile crowd around him, "Are you going to plead Baal's cause? Are you trying to save him? Whoever fights for him shall be put to death by morning! If Baal really is a god, he can defend himself when someone breaks down his altar." So that day they called Gideon "Jerub-Baal," saying, "Let Baal contend with him," because he broke down Baal's altar.

I personally find this need for people to defend a religion ridiculous - only the fake religions seem to feel this need, starting thousands of years ago with Gideon's attacks.
I'm looking at you, muwhahaha!!!

|CoR| El Dorko

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2007, 03:33:59 PM »
i didnt think the da vinci code was bad, it was something i can believe in

"Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

Newman

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2007, 04:29:20 PM »

El Dorko - no offense, but if you actually buy anything in the Da Vinci code, you are naive.  This isn't a matter of Catholic vs. Protestant or even Christianity vs. anybody else - the Da Vinci Code is a book with TONS of historical falsehoods (many secular historians have pointed out the flaws).  It works fine as an act of fiction, but if you think there's a shred of truth in the book, well, you've simply been had :P.

You should do a little research on the book before you embarrass yourself - you might as well tell everyone that you think Harry Potter is a true story, that's about how ridiculous it sounds.

Merlin

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007, 04:50:15 PM »
Newman,

Its like do your recall a few months ago they had that guy who was a journalist and he made this book and movie that claimed he found 'The Secret Tomb of Jesus and his family'  after what was it A#E aired the show they had a hour long interview with the jounralist guy and pretty much blasted him that none of the things he did was either historical or scientific that its just FICTION however he tried to spin it off that he really made these valid geographical findings...

|CoR| El Dorko

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 07:05:35 PM »

El Dorko - no offense, but if you actually buy anything in the Da Vinci code, you are naive.  This isn't a matter of Catholic vs. Protestant or even Christianity vs. anybody else - the Da Vinci Code is a book with TONS of historical falsehoods (many secular historians have pointed out the flaws).  It works fine as an act of fiction, but if you think there's a shred of truth in the book, well, you've simply been had :P.

You should do a little research on the book before you embarrass yourself - you might as well tell everyone that you think Harry Potter is a true story, that's about how ridiculous it sounds.
whats so wrong with me having faith in somthing? most everyone here has faith in god and jesus, why cant i have faith in this?
thats what faith is isnt it, believeing something? i can believe in this, i cant believe in god

"Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

Newman

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2007, 07:41:14 PM »

whats so wrong with me having faith in somthing? most everyone here has faith in god and jesus, why cant i have faith in this?
thats what faith is isnt it, believeing something? i can believe in this, i cant believe in god

You're allowed to have faith in whatever you want - if you want to believe that the tooth fairy is real and that Bugs Bunny is your best friend, you can go right ahead and believe that!

If you want your beliefs to make sense, however, you'll have to do a bit more work.  If you'd like to "believe" what one guy decided to make up as a silly story to make some money, go right ahead.  Who needs facts and reason anyway?

Faith in God is based in history and in facts - the Bible is historically accurate, has been incredibly well-preserved over MILLENIA, and has prophecies in it that were made hundreds of years before they came true.  And you want to believe in what this random guy made up, even though he doesn't claim it's true?  Your call man, but as I said, you might as well believe in Harry Potter.

Crossbearer

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2007, 07:44:31 PM »
 the author himself says that the da vinci code is a work of fiction is a good place to start.  You can have faith that on some distant planet there's a blugblater beast of trog, but you should probably ask the author of the space trilogy if he made it up first.  Faith in something unreal is incredibly harmful, and we're trying to keep you from being monumentaly deceived.

|CoR| Tîwele

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2007, 07:49:51 PM »
Tîwele ^
"You wrote that the world doesn't need a savior, but every day I hear people crying for one." - Superman Returns

Crossbearer

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2007, 10:52:26 PM »
thats.. umm.. right.  honestly i don't see how the superimposition is real.  the center of the painting, which should be Christ, should be looking in both direction, esecntially having two faces, if you put a copy of the picture on the picture only backwards.... that doesn't happen.  also His shirt would not have the swirrels it has i think.

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2007, 11:18:51 PM »
Not only that, but da Vinci's Last Supper is not historically accurate anyway (taken from www.godwords.org) :

Is da Vinci's Last Supper accurate?

Nope. Here are a few reasons why we know that Leonardo da Vinci's painting doesn't tell the same story we read in the Bible:
    In the painting, it's daytime. The Passover meal would have been eaten after sundown.
    In the painting, there's loaf of bread on the table. A loaf is made with yeast...and yeast was forbidden on Passover, as it represented sin. Some type of matzah bread would have been used.
    It's highly likely that they would have been drinking wine...but there's no wine pitcher.
    In the painting, the dinner is fish. Lamb would have been served.
    In the painting, the men are in clothes from the Renaissance.
    In the painting, none of the men are wearing a prayer shawl...traditionally, they would have all worn one, especially during Passover.
    In the painting, the tablecloth looks like a prayer shawl...which would never have been used in this manner.
    It's highly likely that there would have been a washbasin on the table...but it's not there.
    In the painting, the men look like western Europeans...not at all like people from the Middle East.
    In the painting, they're sitting at a regular table...the style of Jesus' day was to recline at a low table.
    In the painting, they're sitting in chairs...the style of Jesus' day was to recline on pillows or to sit on very low benches.
    In the painting, everyone is sitting upright...the style of Jesus' day was to recline during a meal.
    In the painting, the walls of the room are finished and look like marble...this is very unlikely.
    In the painting, it's daytime...so there are no lamps or candles. Since the Passover meal is eaten after sundown, they would be all over the place.
    In the painting, a few of the men have no facial hair...in Jesus' day, most men (if not all of them) would have had a beard.
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought! My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

Crossbearer

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2007, 11:47:45 PM »
well if you wanna be detailed about it....  :icon_razz: