News:

We have a new forums theme. This theme is mobile responsive and SEO compliant. The last one was not.
|CoR| Staff

Hong Kong Phooey

Re: Alcolhol
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2007, 04:25:09 PM »
Nice post Crutch.

Did I just say that :icon_eek:

Yep.... be responsible for your own actions. 

It's a lesson we must teach our kids and keep learning our whole lives.

Pat on the back :icon_razz:
Tonight I want to bite the heads off small kittens
I only pick on HKP because he's a dork.

Thrawn

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 10:20:11 PM »
In Canada the drinking age is 18. I drink, now and again. Im 21, most of my old friends from highschool are alcoholics geting drunk every friday and saturday night till they pass out. I've done that with them, sadly for too long, and am still sucked into it now and again. Thats one of my failures. A social drink is no biggy, its when you wake up every morning like my best friend from highschool and crack a beer because ur hand wont stop shaking till you do. Or you get a phone call and find out a friend drove home drunk rolled his truck in the ditch and is now paralized and the girl he was died. Its the stupid decisons influenced by alcohol that make it a horrible thing. Im not sure what its like in the states but up where im from (alberta) you pay enough money and you can get off of any DUI charge. My buddie just paid 7 grand to get out of his. No jail time lost his license for 3 months untill his court date and his lawyer got him off on a technicality. Sad thing is i know he'll do it again, and probly kill somebody next time.

Anton - Thrawn
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 10:28:36 PM by |CoR| Thrawn »

|CoR| Crutch

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2007, 07:52:47 AM »
I wouldn't pay for my sons lawyer, I would never buy him a truck if I knew he was not mature enough to own one, I would have went blitzkrieg on him if I ever caught him drinking, and I would never allow my daughter to date or ride with any guy that drank. If you are intolerable 100% of the time, the people around you will become accustom to it. If the laws say I can give my son a firearm and he can legally keep it in his room, it would be my own fault if he used said weapon. I love guns, the laws here basically allow me to give him one even at 4 years of age, yet I as a parent set the bar for him to grow in. Parents need to cowboy up.

|CoR| Legolas

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2007, 12:15:43 PM »
Parents need to cowboy up.

Best quote ever.
|CoR| Legolas*GI*     
*STAR* and *PiG* Official Member.

**Eleet computer builder club - 7 Fan Wonder**

Chuck Norris is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

Thrawn

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2007, 05:48:24 PM »
Cow Boy up, and hold on tight! yehaw i love guns to  :icon_mrgreen: These are mine.

Newman

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 10:42:08 PM »
Fun pics... not the right thread though.
I'm looking at you, muwhahaha!!!

|CoR| MeeSHaK

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2007, 10:56:42 AM »
In Canada the drinking age is 18. I drink, now and again. Im 21, most of my old friends from highschool are alcoholics geting drunk every friday and saturday night till they pass out. I've done that with them, sadly for too long, and am still sucked into it now and again. Thats one of my failures. A social drink is no biggy, its when you wake up every morning like my best friend from highschool and crack a beer because ur hand wont stop shaking till you do. Or you get a phone call and find out a friend drove home drunk rolled his truck in the ditch and is now paralized and the girl he was died. Its the stupid decisons influenced by alcohol that make it a horrible thing. Im not sure what its like in the states but up where im from (alberta) you pay enough money and you can get off of any DUI charge. My buddie just paid 7 grand to get out of his. No jail time lost his license for 3 months untill his court date and his lawyer got him off on a technicality. Sad thing is i know he'll do it again, and probly kill somebody next time.

Anton - Thrawn

Thats not all of Canada, the legal drinking age varies from Province to Province.  For example, in Ontario (where I am) the legal age is 19, while in Quebec (just a couple hours drive north) its 18.   It changes from 18 - 19 depending on which province you are in.
"God is most Glorified in you when you are most satisfied in Him, in the midst of loss not prosperity." - John Piper

Merlin

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2007, 06:31:03 PM »
I believe that alcohol when used in moderation is acceptable, but to be drunk constantly i.e. a drunkard is not cool. -Pax Christi

|CoR| Legolas

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2007, 08:28:32 PM »
I believe that alcohol when used in moderation is acceptable, but to be drunk constantly i.e. a drunkard is not cool. -Pax Christi

To be drunk EVER is not cool.
|CoR| Legolas*GI*     

Merlin

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2007, 10:38:17 PM »
Depends on what you consider "drunk"

Newman

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2007, 10:42:54 PM »
Depends on what you consider "drunk"

Can you legally drive home?  Hard to see much Biblical justification for drinking enough so that you can't even drive yourself home, eh?

Merlin

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2007, 10:47:18 PM »
No just pointing out to what people would consider drunk, if you point out DUI legal then for me 1 beer is DUI if I get behind the wheel of a vehicle (Or for any CDL Class A holder).  Also Bible says not to be a drunkard i.e. drunk all the time, I don't believe it says not to get drunk, but also I would say its ok to get buzzed but not DRUNK to complete inebriation, lowers your inhibitions and can be very inviting to commit horrible sins.

Newman

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2007, 10:53:03 PM »
No just pointing out to what people would consider drunk, if you point out DUI legal then for me 1 beer is DUI if I get behind the wheel of a vehicle (Or for any CDL Class A holder).  Also Bible says not to be a drunkard i.e. drunk all the time, I don't believe it says not to get drunk, but also I would say its ok to get buzzed but not DRUNK to complete inebriation, lowers your inhibitions and can be very inviting to commit horrible sins.

1 beer gets you a DUI?  Where?  Maybe if you're 100 pounds and you're not drinking any food, but for most people, one beer at a dinner (or even two) will not get you even close to a DUI on the way home.

Merlin

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2007, 10:55:42 PM »
Newman,

By federal regulations the DUI limits for Commercial Drivers is not the same as people with non-commercial license, LEGALLY by law with my CDL if I have 1 beer, that is over my LEGAL limit to drive and I am in DUI if I got pulled over and got a breath test. Even though I am not at work.

Thrawn

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2007, 08:11:13 PM »
Thats not all of Canada, the legal drinking age varies from Province to Province.  For example, in Ontario (where I am) the legal age is 19, while in Quebec (just a couple hours drive north) its 18.   It changes from 18 - 19 depending on which province you are in.

Sorry i forgot, im from Alberta......i kinda forgot about the rest of Canada haha

Newman

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2007, 09:51:18 PM »
Newman,

By federal regulations the DUI limits for Commercial Drivers is not the same as people with non-commercial license, LEGALLY by law with my CDL if I have 1 beer, that is over my LEGAL limit to drive and I am in DUI if I got pulled over and got a breath test. Even though I am not at work.

Ahhh, commercial drivers - that makes a lot more sense.

|CoR| Silent Assassin

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
what i dont understand that in the fine country of America  (not being rude, it is good, i  like it here)

but  at 16 , u can drive, huge factor of teenage deaths

18 u can join the military and get shot and die,

but u have to wait till 21 to drink, and then possibly die

that makes no sense

:flag_canada:
**Eleet Computer Builder - Nerd/Geek Relations Intern**

|CoR| teb

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2007, 08:48:45 AM »
what i dont understand that in the fine country of America  (not being rude, it is good, i  like it here)

that makes no sense

actually the saddest thing is the fact that you have to be 25 to rent a car without doing all kinds of extra thnigs and paying more.

i mean how stupid is that, at 22 i can go to war and die for my country or i can get wasted but yet i can't rent a car for my honeymoon!  inconceivable!
Quote from: Phooey
you just can't fix stupid.

Newman

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2007, 08:12:18 PM »

that makes no sense

actually the saddest thing is the fact that you have to be 25 to rent a car without doing all kinds of extra thnigs and paying more.

i mean how stupid is that, at 22 i can go to war and die for my country or i can get wasted but yet i can't rent a car for my honeymoon!  inconceivable!

Yeah, it's ridiculous, I agree (part of the reason why I'm excited to turn 25 in a few weeks - last thing to look forward to with increasing age, next is senior discount at 55).

On a side note, I went with Enterprise recently who had something like an extra $15/day charge for being under 25.  The nice thing is that they somehow forgot to add that to my final bill (I told them about it up front), maybe once they get the car back in good shape they don't care as much, I don't know.

Crossbearer

« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2007, 06:40:40 PM »
biblically, we're definitely not supposed ot get drunk, other than that there isn't much about drinking tha ti've found.  A thought though we are uspposed to obey all the authorities put over us ebcause they were instituted by God.  So, drinking before your 21 i think it's 21 everywehre it is in NY at elast, but drinking before you're 21 is a sin in my book.  I just turned 21 but choose not to ev rhave a drink.... i get addicted easily.

Mountain Dew is my king brew!

|CoR| Gamil

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2007, 09:40:58 PM »
The Bible talks about drunkards not going to heaven, IT does not say that those who drink alcohol won't go to heaven, jsut drunkards. Jesus turned wine into water for a wedding. Why would Jesus do that if it was wrong to drink alcohol? Bible says that there will be wine in heaven. calls it new Wine.

Playstation Network ID: Gamil
SWTOR: Server: Shadow Hand Character: Gamil

Crossbearer

« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2007, 09:46:06 PM »
Of course there is the whole debate of wine then having much less alchohol than our wine today does, but I don't know.  Jesus' wine was the best at the wedding though, and it hadn't even aged hundreds of years.  Take that french winerys!

|CoR| Legolas

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2007, 10:17:50 PM »
The Bible talks about drunkards not going to heaven, IT does not say that those who drink alcohol won't go to heaven, jsut drunkards. Jesus turned wine into water for a wedding. Why would Jesus do that if it was wrong to drink alcohol? Bible says that there will be wine in heaven. calls it new Wine.

I've had new wine...it's good...really good.
|CoR| Legolas*GI*     

Tim Vader

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2007, 10:12:27 AM »
My opinion on alcohol is that it really is far worse than most illegal drugs.  You can die from one sitting with alcohol, long term health effects are really bad, and more people die from it than all illegal drugs combined every year.  It is kinda humorous that something as dangerous and addictive as alcohol is legal and freely available when something harmless like marijuana is illegal.  Makes no sense really, and as far as I'm concerned its not the governments place to make restrictions on what people have once they are old enough to vote and fight for this country.
If you are irresponsible with alcohol, you can easily die.   If you are responsible with practically anything and are smart enough not to take toxic doses or to make it the center of your life, you can enjoy alcohol just fine.

Anyone who thinks alcohol is wicked safe though, look at this chart which is from the National Institute of Drug Abuse.

As far as drinking age goes, 18 straight up.  In reality the liquor industry profits by the 21 drinking age because the 18-20 year olds have that urge to just get hammered instead of having a couple beers and end up buying enormous ammounts of alcohol that they drink with friends/at parties in like one night.  People under 18 do not have the same spending power as those 18 and over because they generally have to rely on their parents to buy stuff, and most parents wont just hand huge ammounts of cash to a kid unless they know what its going to be spent on.  Plus underage drinking by teens happens regardless anyways so the age limit wont make a difference anyways.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 10:36:40 AM by Tim Vader »
Like a record baby,
right round, round round!

Epic Fail

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2008, 11:41:19 AM »
/thread revival :)

Alcohol is one of my "issues" if you want to call it that.  I drink, sometimes heavily, others not. 

I see nothing wrong with going out and having a drink, publically or privately.  I think there's something to be said for someone who can drink responsably, especially to those peers he has who aren't Christian.  He can use it to witness to them as to why he doen't drink like that.

Like I said, I drink too much sometimes - it's bad, but with what I'm going thru it feels like a release.  I've had a total of 2 beers in the past 2 weeks :) but prior to that, I 'abused' alcohol.  Does that mean I shouldn't drink ever again?  no, it means I should be responsible about how i drink.

Biblically, as stated there is somethign wrong with getting drunk.  You can define drunk however you want, but I'll say for me, it's unable to drive/opperate safely. (no crutch the other week I wasn't 'drunk'...  :P[inside story])
<br />e8400|Xig s1382|2x2gb 800mhz|8800gt256mb|3x500gb|250gb|2x80gb|680i|TPT550w|P180(mod)|5fans|xpsp3|vista<br />1TB club | Computer Builder Club - Founder | Bitter people association <br />
I love Joel.  :heart:
<br />Selling: 12cm PWM fan (xigmatek)|LGA775 HSF|Celeron 430|5 1/4\" exhaust fan|random RAM(ddr,ddr2,sd)|floppydrive|make offers on my PC(minus the hard drives&case)- PM if interested..<br />http://game2.mafiadeath.com/r/36053.p

|CoR| Crutch

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2008, 11:56:13 AM »

Alcohol is one of my "issues" if you want to call it that.  I drink, sometimes heavily, others not. 

I see nothing wrong with going out and having a drink, publically or privately.  I think there's something to be said for someone who can drink responsably, especially to those peers he has who aren't Christian.  He can use it to witness to them as to why he doen't drink like that.

Like I said, I drink too much sometimes - it's bad, but with what I'm going thru it feels like a release.  I've had a total of 2 beers in the past 2 weeks :) but prior to that, I 'abused' alcohol.  Does that mean I shouldn't drink ever again?  no, it means I should be responsible about how i drink.

Biblically, as stated there is somethign wrong with getting drunk.  You can define drunk however you want, but I'll say for me, it's unable to drive/opperate safely. (no crutch the other week I wasn't 'drunk'...  :P[inside story])

You may not date my daughter. lol

Epic Fail

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2008, 12:02:09 PM »

You may not date my daughter. lol

Hmm..   Just because I drink WAY more than you?  .. wait I'm taken by a wonderful woman named Aimee. :P
<br />e8400|Xig s1382|2x2gb 800mhz|8800gt256mb|3x500gb|250gb|2x80gb|680i|TPT550w|P180(mod)|5fans|xpsp3|vista<br />1TB club | Computer Builder Club - Founder | Bitter people association <br />
<br />Selling: 12cm PWM fan (xigmatek)|LGA775 HSF|Celeron 430|5 1/4\" exhaust fan|random RAM(ddr,ddr2,sd)|floppydrive|make offers on my PC(minus the hard drives&case)- PM if interested..<br />http://game2.mafiadeath.com/r/36053.p

|CoR| Hawkens

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2008, 01:15:15 PM »
Does that mean I shouldn't drink ever again?  no, it means I should be responsible about how i drink.
Control is an illusion.
I've been exposed to Alcohol all my life and I can tell you witout a doubt that 95% of the people I knew who had problems with alcohol could never go back to even casual drinking.
Once an alcoholic.....always an alcoholic.

I'm an alcoholic and yes I still enjoy relaxing with a few beers. But I know I don't have control of my situation. God and my Wife keep me in line. Oh and the fear of hitting rock bottom again. WHich is why I stay away from whiskey and powerful mixed drinks. My wife and I had a few strawberry daiquiris on my birthday Saturday but that's as far as I dare tread.

HiL

Epic Fail

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »
Does that mean I shouldn't drink ever again?  no, it means I should be responsible about how i drink.
Control is an illusion.
I've been exposed to Alcohol all my life and I can tell you witout a doubt that 95% of the people I knew who had problems with alcohol could never go back to even casual drinking.
Once an alcoholic.....always an alcoholic.

I'm an alcoholic and yes I still enjoy relaxing with a few beers. But I know I don't have control of my situation. God and my Wife keep me in line. Oh and the fear of hitting rock bottom again. WHich is why I stay away from whiskey and powerful mixed drinks. My wife and I had a few strawberry daiquiris on my birthday Saturday but that's as far as I dare tread.

I could agree..  I've never been plastered to the point of hugging the lesser white throne, nor have I been close, but I've come as close as I dare.  I enjoy a Long Island or two here and there, but after my last experience drinkin' I'm a bit hesitant about drinkin'...  My wife keeps me in line, a lot.  I usually have 1 beer, usually at night just before bed, or around 8pm. (yes it's like clock work.)  The only time I drink more than that is when someone else is buying OOORRRR I have money set aside to waste.  I think for the sake of my liver, stress level and the wife not getting mad at me again, drinking a lot isn't healthy.. obviously... 

I don't know if you could call me an 'alcoholic'...  i had my first drink of alcohol 8 or 9 months ago... 

Young men and women, learn a lesson - It's alright in modderation, not in excess.  Don't drink with people you don't know, and don't let shady men buy you a drink (for the women).

|CoR| beepbeepiamajeep

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2008, 06:37:51 PM »
I dont see a problem with drinking when you are of legal age and not getting drunk.

....i have a screwd up a couple times though so i guess i can not really tell people to stop drinking if there under 21.