News:

We have a new forums theme. This theme is mobile responsive and SEO compliant. The last one was not.
|CoR| Staff

Poll

Would you be interested in joining an Xbox live subteam?

Yes
No
Maybe

blckspdr

Xbox Live Sub-team
« on: January 06, 2009, 08:59:20 AM »
Cool_Hand_Luke mentioned at the last clan wide meeting that we may begin a console subteam now that there is online play. Would you be interested in joining it?

blckspdr

Re: Xbox Live Sub-team
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 09:37:47 AM »
Cool_Hand_Luke mentioned at the last clan wide meeting that we may begin a console subteam now that there is online play. Would you be interested in joining it?

btw if you vote no you will be attacked by a swarm of locusts...

|CoR| Holy_Retribution

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 09:43:07 AM »

btw if you vote no you will be attacked by a swarm of locusts...
and Holy_Retribution him self along with is 3 dogs!   ARG!
**Oath of Blood: Minister of Ownage.**

|CoR| teb

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 10:12:42 AM »
I probably wouldn't join it but I'd still play with people if I had the games.
Quote from: Phooey
you just can't fix stupid.

blckspdr

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 10:36:03 AM »
I probably wouldn't join it but I'd still play with people if I had the games.

well i have some ideas on that actually... since xbox live does really work quite the same way as our online games, i thought we would develop a list of  maybe 5-6 games that we play. And obviously we would open that up to a vote. at least thats my idea... i never claimed it was a good one :) lol

|CoR| teb

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 12:00:10 PM »
I just feel like its hard to do a good ministry on XBL mainly because there is no dedicated server in which to invite people to.  Thats not to say it can't work, since I'm sure someone can come up with some good idea, its just not me right this second :P

blckspdr

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 12:09:54 PM »
I just feel like its hard to do a good ministry on XBL mainly because there is no dedicated server in which to invite people to.  Thats not to say it can't work, since I'm sure someone can come up with some good idea, its just not me right this second :P

I personally see it as going to them instead of waiting for them to come to us... I envision it as more of a missionary type sub-team where we live by example... and go where they are
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 12:14:35 PM by |CoR| blckspdr »

|CoR| Cool_Hand_Luke

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 12:35:31 PM »

I personally see it as going to them instead of waiting for them to come to us... I envision it as more of a missionary type sub-team where we live by example... and go where they are

If only all of |CoR| members had that attitude...imagine the impact.
Grace & Peace,

Pastor Dade Ronan
|CoR| Pres-Cool_Hand_Luke
Acts 2:38
http://daderonan.com

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 12:38:28 PM »
Biggest problem I see with that is most people are not going to be happy with any sort of evangelism on "their" server-that's why it makes sense to have your own server.
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought! My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

|CoR| Cool_Hand_Luke

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 02:41:22 PM »
Which consoles and games are you allowed to have your own server? 

Who provides console game servers?

Why would players get upset if you are doing evangelism on servers owned by the game company?  Don't game companies expect players to recruit other players into their own clan in order to help grow the community?

Is there an active community that supports those particular games?

What is the probability of console players visiting the forums and getting plugged in with the rest of |CoR|?

Are ther ways to filter bad language and in game chat through some kind of admin functions?

Just some questions that need to be addressed when considering expanding into console games.  I personally do not play console games and quite frankly never will as I do not like using a game pad and I think they are too slow for my flavor, but I would be in favor of it if we can work out the details and if the Lord is leading us in that direction.
Grace & Peace,

Pastor Dade Ronan
|CoR| Pres-Cool_Hand_Luke
Acts 2:38
http://daderonan.com

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 03:09:02 PM »
A XBL "server" is just someone with an Xbox hosting a game.  And other than kicking/banning someone from your game, there is no admin functionality.  And the XBL crowd is not exactly the most mature gamers around.  As for console gamers visiting CoR's site and forums, I have my doubts.
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought! My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

|CoR| teb

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 03:24:34 PM »
The problems I see are the fact that there are no good ways to keep in touch with people other then being a "Friend" (like Steam) except chatting is a pain in the rear end on a console.  Most games will last between 10 - 15 minutes.  I would compare this to what we do in the sense that CoR is like a church:  its a place that will be here sans catastrophic events and you have more time to interact with people.  Doing the XBL thing is like going around passing out pamphlets.  You'll have more people that are annoyed with you then you will actually wanting to listen to you.

That said, XBL is a huge community in the Halo, Gears of War, and Call of Duty world.  Its a good place to go, but you'd need a vastly different approach to everything even moreso then when CoR started doing MMO's.

(You can also use PS3, but their community is much smaller.  Though you could make your own LittleBigPlanet content that had to do with CoR)

|CoR| psyco-elmo

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 04:55:14 PM »
Biggest problem I see with that is most people are not going to be happy with any sort of evangelism on "their" server-that's why it makes sense to have your own server.
i would rather kicked from a server for witnessing than cussing! :)
Are the things you are living for worth Christ dying for?" — Leonard Ravenhill

|CoR| DISCIPLE

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 05:12:59 PM »
I think that you would be better off just having a forum to talk about console gameing, and having a list of those that play, than to have a "clan" so to speak, on the xbox. Then you could get together with those of the clan that have the game, maybe a list of the games people own and play and there in game names. Just my thoughts. God Bless!!

JIM

|CoR| Maverick

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 05:35:04 PM »
i would rather kicked from a server for witnessing than cussing! :)

i'm sure that's meant partly in jest, but it's certainly not a logical point. no comparison has been made of whether to witness or cuss.  I'm sure most XBL players would prefer to be witnessed to rather than have their toes cut off.  But that doesn't mean they'll like the witnessing. 
“The unexamined life is not worth living.” - Socrates

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 06:02:53 PM »
My point exactly.  We don't want to become known as the Jehovah's Witnesses of the XBL community.

|CoR| Maverick

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 08:49:58 PM »
We don't want to become known as the Jehovah's Witnesses of the XBL community.

too bad you can't play the Wii online.  there could be bicycle-riding game....

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 09:19:30 PM »
That's the Mormons, silly.

|CoR| Maverick

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 10:14:31 PM »
that's right.   :doh!: 

blckspdr

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 10:22:52 PM »
look i think we are all looking at this and comparing it to what we have done in the past... what i am thinking and considering is something entirely different, from what we have done.

As far as being called the jehovahs witnesses of the xbl community... I can say from personal experience that actions speak much louder than words. for example: I began playing Diablo 2 awhile back a game that is frowned upon by many and if you think that the xbl community is immature... you know nothing lol... i started playing with friends i knew personally but who eventually quit... so i began playing by myself and joining random games just increasing my characters abilities. i began to play with people who could see that not only was i skilled at the game but i wasnt like the other people that played it... i didnt swear, i didnt gloat, i played for the advantage of the party and not just myself, if an item dropped that i didnt need i would give it away. i lived and played by example... i eventually began to make many friends which in turn over several months led to 3 of them accepting Christ as their savior...

Look what i'm proposing isn't safe (persay) we wont be able to sit in our own little server and kick people that are bad. sure we might get kicked out of a few games for telling people about Christ.  But we are a gaming community that in its very mission statement is about reaching the lost... there is a whole community of unbelievers on xbl if we dont reach them who will? should we sit here and wait for someone else to do it? or should we take the initiative and stand up and take a chance? I personally took great pleasure when i played diablo 2 when i got told off... i loved it when people got upset with me for my beliefs... that means theyll think about it later... and maybe just maybe when they are alone at night wondering what happens when they die theyll make a phone call that will change their lives forever...

will this be easy? not really... will it be like what we have done before? probably not... but... should we do it? well |CoR| thats up to you.

blckspdr

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2009, 10:24:40 PM »
We don't want to become known as the Jehovah's Witnesses of the XBL community.

too bad you can't play the Wii online.  there could be bicycle-riding game....
and the wii does have online play but it is tottaly anonymous and you cannot speak in game yet... they just  released a game that you can chat with one friend at a time... but its like the sims or something lame like that lol

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2009, 10:42:18 PM »
I still don't see how any of that lends itself to a subteam.  Yes, it's great to be an example, but how do you propose to translate that into a subteam?  If you like playing one particular game and you make friends and get to know them and eventually witness to them because of that friendship, that's awesome, but how does that necessitate a subteam?  Seems more like an individual activity to me.

blckspdr

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2009, 11:07:46 PM »
I still don't see how any of that lends itself to a subteam.  Yes, it's great to be an example, but how do you propose to translate that into a subteam?  If you like playing one particular game and you make friends and get to know them and eventually witness to them because of that friendship, that's awesome, but how does that necessitate a subteam?  Seems more like an individual activity to me.
Well for several reasons.
1.) Matthew 9:37&38: Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." The more we have in the community the more chances we have to see a change made in peoples lives.
2.) The |CoR| tag in and of itself is key. People will see that tag and ask what it is and what it means, thus opening the door to further conversation. Especially if there are multiple people in-game wearing said tag.
3.) I belive firmly and from personal experience that if people find you interesting enough they will listen to what you have to say and check out the website... you have to have an internet connection to be on XBL so therefore it stands to reason that they have access to the internet...
4.) People want to belong to something bigger than themselves. That is why we see so many non-believers join the clan, because its more fun to play with people you know than w/o them, even if you don't agree with their beliefs. but by joining they are exposing themselves to said beliefs and are submitting to abide by them to an extent and furthermore opening up themselves to being ministered to.
5.) Is it that different from GW or WoW? alot of times spent in those games you are doing stuff by yourself, unless you are running instances or etc. There is just one giant server and anyone can be on it.
6.) And what would it cost the |CoR| to start it? there is no server to pay for... There is little to lose and much to gain.

The model we have lived by (for the most part) up to now is the church model. Which says "Come and see" This model is a missionary model which says "Go and do." neither is right nor wrong but should we spend our lives saying "Here we are, we are the light. Darkness come to us." OR should we say "Hello darkness, I am light... prepare to get lit up!" lol

|CoR| GHM

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2009, 11:29:33 PM »
If it was made, I'd totally join.  :)

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2009, 11:33:33 PM »
1) You could say that about anything and everything.  You could make the same argument for a "grocery shopping at Wal-Mart" subteam.
2) Most XBL games do not allow you to have a tag, so unless everyone is willing to pay for XBL all over again and create a new gamertag, the CoR part is going to be nonexistent.
3) Granted, but given the lack of dedicated servers and the fact that ranked matches usually don't let you play with the same group of people twice, how do you build that sort of influence with those not already on your friends list?
4) See #2.
5) GW and WoW are the sort of games that build long-time communities.  Most XBL games are something you play a few times and trade at GameStop.
6) You're right, it wouldn't cost anything, except possibly all your achievement points, $40 and whatever the flavor of the month game costs.

GW and WoW are hard enough to sustain.  An ever-changing XBL subteam seems like it would be even harder to me, unless you intend on limiting it to one particular game.

blckspdr

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 11:42:36 PM »
1) You could say that about anything and everything.  You could make the same argument for a "grocery shopping at Wal-Mart" subteam.
2) Most XBL games do not allow you to have a tag, so unless everyone is willing to pay for XBL all over again and create a new gamertag, the CoR part is going to be nonexistent.
3) Granted, but given the lack of dedicated servers and the fact that ranked matches usually don't let you play with the same group of people twice, how do you build that sort of influence with those not already on your friends list?
4) See #2.
5) GW and WoW are the sort of games that build long-time communities.  Most XBL games are something you play a few times and trade at GameStop.
6) You're right, it wouldn't cost anything, except possibly all your achievement points, $40 and whatever the flavor of the month game costs.

GW and WoW are hard enough to sustain.  An ever-changing XBL subteam seems like it would be even harder to me, unless you intend on limiting it to one particular game.

you can change your gamertag... or add to it in my case that is one of the options under change your profile... and my suggestion would be to limit it to the more popular games that have already been listed Halo 3, Gears of War and Call Of Duty. And if you ever want to add to said games or remove or change it would be put up to a vote on the forums. And its just like any online community you get to know people, it takes time. furthermore if you find someone you like playing with you add them to your friends list... and that is the entire point, getting to know people finding people you like playing with and adding them to your friends list. also i would highly suggest that whatever members we gain we would have weekly meetings just like DoD to encourage and to build the team membership. And if it doesnt cost anything then whats the harm in trying?

|CoR| Holy_Retribution

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 11:59:34 PM »
Using are vent for ministering most Xboxers have PC's after all they need something to look up cheat codes with! and since most games have Clans setting up a CoR on each would be easy!

|CoR| Holy_Retribution

« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2009, 12:15:27 AM »
i was on an Xbox clan and to show are comitment we had to buy new Accounts with the Clans tag in front of are names just an idea and it would help keep out the half hearted!
 And I will work my toes off to buy an Xbox to get Live and Help spdr 100% to get this working! He is willing to take the chance who are we to stop him! Not to mention it would be easier to get Console gamers into a church lan party then Pc'er since consoles are easier to pack!  Spdr iam here for you if you need want any help in this just ask!!!! and i mean that, I think its risky i thinks its dangerous but if we save just one isnt it all worth it...... If it fails we will help spdr back onto his feet and hand him a wash cloth to get the mudd of his face and move on to other agenda, I dont see the harm in trying just because it's not a proven method doesnt mean its not a workable method! I say Give it a try :)

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2009, 06:55:08 AM »
Yes, some games allow you to have clan tags, and yes, you can change your gamertag, but it costs money (800 Microsoft points) to do so.  And you're right, there's no harm in trying, but there are a lot of factors to consider before CoR jumps into it with a subteam.  GoW, for example, would be especially problematic because of all the language.  We already get hassled enough for being Christians playing violent games, and as far as I remember, the characters voice taunts when making headshots are scripted into the game even in multiplayer.  We already have a CoD4 subteam.  H3 is a fun game, but are enough members committed to making it their daily game? 

|CoR| teb

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009, 09:03:37 AM »
@blckspdr

I think if you really wanted to do something with XBL, just put together a thread getting a few CoR people to play once or twice a week and see how it works out.  If you play CoD4, you can easily add the CoR tag to it.

@Holy

Getting a console user to use Vent while playing on XBL is going to be almost impossible.  I have my computer on my coffee table in the living room and when I'm playing MP on a console, I'm never on the computer.  Besides, console games don't really have cheat codes anymore. 

I'm pretty sure XBL has the ability to make a party and have voice chats and all without being in a game now which can be useful.