News:

We have a new forums theme. This theme is mobile responsive and SEO compliant. The last one was not.
|CoR| Staff

Poll

Would you be interested in joining an Xbox live subteam?

Yes
No
Maybe

|CoR| Holy_Retribution

Re: Xbox Live Sub-team
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2009, 09:19:53 AM »
@blckspdr

I think if you really wanted to do something with XBL, just put together a thread getting a few CoR people to play once or twice a week and see how it works out.  If you play CoD4, you can easily add the CoR tag to it.

@Holy

Getting a console user to use Vent while playing on XBL is going to be almost impossible.  I have my computer on my coffee table in the living room and when I'm playing MP on a console, I'm never on the computer.  Besides, console games don't really have cheat codes anymore. 

I'm pretty sure XBL has the ability to make a party and have voice chats and all without being in a game now which can be useful.
I didnt mean vent all the time i just meant if they needed a quite place for weekly meetings then they would have one and yes most XbL games offer rooms where you can do this anyways it was just yet another option to lay out there
**Oath of Blood: Minister of Ownage.**

|CoR| Hawkens

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2009, 09:28:08 AM »
I voted maybe on this.....

Vette has alot of good points.
I feel if this is a direction we want to go then there will be many steps that need to be taken to get there.

The first step would be a solid friends pool.
Right now I have like 4 or 5 CoR members on my XBL friends and I have yet to play a game on the 360 with any of them.
We need to develop a friends pool and we need to see players playing the XBL together before we put any resources into talking about a team.

The first step I'll do is talk to Luke and the others about creating a Console Gaming forum section.

HiL

|CoR| Holy_Retribution

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 09:30:12 AM »

I feel if this is a direction we want to go then there will be many steps that need to be taken to get there.

Right now I have like 4 or 5 CoR members on my XBL friends and I have yet to play a game on the 360 with any of them.
We need to develop a friends pool and we need to see players playing the XBL together before we put any resources into talking about a team.

The first step I'll do is talk to Luke and the others about creating a Console Gaming forum section.
I think that would be great!

blckspdr

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 09:35:49 AM »

i concur... i think it would be helpful if we could get |CoR| members that have XBL and would be interested in playing together to let us know that they have it and what their gamertags are, so we can add each other to our friends list... guess what mine is? lol

|CoR| Holy_Retribution

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009, 09:57:39 AM »

i concur... i think it would be helpful if we could get |CoR| members that have XBL and would be interested in playing together to let us know that they have it and what their gamertags are, so we can add each other to our friends list... guess what mine is? lol
Underashoe maybe or is it Squashed bug or LoL White Fly ;)   i know is it BlkSpdr!

|CoR| teb

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 09:59:20 AM »

Couldn't we just go this all in the General Gaming section?  I'd say a majority of whats talked about there is console related.
Quote from: Phooey
you just can't fix stupid.

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009, 10:06:00 AM »
I also have 3-4 CoR members on my friends list and have never played with any of them.  In fact, I've only been playing once and seen any of them playing the same game I was.  Although, most of the time lately, it's been my son on mine playing, because until another good FPS or RPG comes out, I won't be on mine much, unless it's to finish the Horde levels of GoW2 with my brother.  Anyway, mine's cTs Corvette.  But if you see me online playing Burnout Paradise, Spiderman Web of Shadows, any of the Guitar Hero or Rockband games or Battlefield Bad Company, it's not me, it's Joshua.
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought! My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

|CoR| Cool_Hand_Luke

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 11:21:32 AM »
new console gaming forums created.
Grace & Peace,

Pastor Dade Ronan
|CoR| Pres-Cool_Hand_Luke
Acts 2:38
http://daderonan.com

blckspdr

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2009, 12:35:23 PM »
can we move this to the new console forums?

|CoR| Wolfpack

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2009, 01:08:45 PM »
I still don't see how any of that lends itself to a subteam.  Yes, it's great to be an example, but how do you propose to translate that into a subteam?  If you like playing one particular game and you make friends and get to know them and eventually witness to them because of that friendship, that's awesome, but how does that necessitate a subteam?  Seems more like an individual activity to me.
Well for several reasons.
1.) Matthew 9:37&38: Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." The more we have in the community the more chances we have to see a change made in peoples lives.
2.) The |CoR| tag in and of itself is key. People will see that tag and ask what it is and what it means, thus opening the door to further conversation. Especially if there are multiple people in-game wearing said tag.
3.) I belive firmly and from personal experience that if people find you interesting enough they will listen to what you have to say and check out the website... you have to have an internet connection to be on XBL so therefore it stands to reason that they have access to the internet...
4.) People want to belong to something bigger than themselves. That is why we see so many non-believers join the clan, because its more fun to play with people you know than w/o them, even if you don't agree with their beliefs. but by joining they are exposing themselves to said beliefs and are submitting to abide by them to an extent and furthermore opening up themselves to being ministered to.
5.) Is it that different from GW or WoW? alot of times spent in those games you are doing stuff by yourself, unless you are running instances or etc. There is just one giant server and anyone can be on it.
6.) And what would it cost the |CoR| to start it? there is no server to pay for... There is little to lose and much to gain.

The model we have lived by (for the most part) up to now is the church model. Which says "Come and see" This model is a missionary model which says "Go and do." neither is right nor wrong but should we spend our lives saying "Here we are, we are the light. Darkness come to us." OR should we say "Hello darkness, I am light... prepare to get lit up!" lol

I am behind you 100% bro I think this would be a great outreach. We have spent to long saying come to us it is by far time to go to them. Jesus told us to go into all the world not to wait for the world to come to us...
God doesn't call the qualified he qualifies the called.
oh ya, well I did it in 4 secs, and I was prone, in the snow, uphill both ways, and used only my knife, so there...lol

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 02:21:02 PM »
The question was about a subteam.  Just because there's an opportunity to be had doesn't mean that CoR has the ability to sustain it as a viable ministry.  If we based teams on opportunities, we'd have a team for every game out there.
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought! My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

blckspdr

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2009, 02:24:11 PM »
The question was about a subteam.  Just because there's an opportunity to be had doesn't mean that CoR has the ability to sustain it as a viable ministry.  If we based teams on opportunities, we'd have a team for every game out there.
but what is there to sustain if as we previously estabilished it costs nothing...

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »
Membership.  Activity.  Responsible leadership.  Standards.  Recruit guidelines.

There's a lot more involved in a subteam than going "Hey I think this is a good idea, let's do it."

blckspdr

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2009, 02:32:19 PM »
Membership.  Activity.  Responsible leadership.  Standards.  Recruit guidelines.

There's a lot more involved in a subteam than going "Hey I think this is a good idea, let's do it."

and we already have a handful of people willing to help with this and this post has only been up 24 hours...

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2009, 02:37:23 PM »
A handful?  Hmmm, I saw GHM say he would join, and Wolfpack saying he was behind you 100% (even though he doesn't have a 360), and Holy hasn't said one way or the other.  Seems like a very small handful.

blckspdr

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2009, 06:26:30 PM »

And I will work my toes off to buy an Xbox to get Live and Help spdr 100% to get this working! He is willing to take the chance who are we to stop him! Not to mention it would be easier to get Console gamers into a church lan party then Pc'er since consoles are easier to pack!  Spdr iam here for you if you need want any help in this just ask!!!! and i mean that, I think its risky i thinks its dangerous but if we save just one isnt it all worth it......

that looks to me like someone that is willing to help... besides the fact that i know of 3 people personally one already in the clan 2 that are not that would be more than willing to help see this accomplished...

vette it seems to me that you are more interested in arguing then really discussing possiblities or doing actual ministry... so unless someone else can offer valid concerns that i have not already addressed i think that this conversation can no longer bear fruit. and we should either discuss other possibilities, bring up new questions or just flat out say we arent going to do it.

|CoR| Holy_Retribution

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2009, 06:58:46 PM »

And I will work my toes off to buy an Xbox to get Live and Help spdr 100% to get this working! He is willing to take the chance who are we to stop him! Not to mention it would be easier to get Console gamers into a church lan party then Pc'er since consoles are easier to pack!  Spdr iam here for you if you need want any help in this just ask!!!! and i mean that, I think its risky i thinks its dangerous but if we save just one isnt it all worth it......

that looks to me like someone that is willing to help... besides the fact that i know of 3 people personally one already in the clan 2 that are not that would be more than willing to help see this accomplished...

vette it seems to me that you are more interested in arguing then really discussing possiblities or doing actual ministry... so unless someone else can offer valid concerns that i have not already addressed i think that this conversation can no longer bear fruit. and we should either discuss other possibilities, bring up new questions or just flat out say we arent going to do it.
Vouch
Iam willing to help spdr and i came to Pc gaming from Xbox live were i still have many friends who could use a good outreach effort!!! i still have a 1 year live card sitting in my PC desk! i have 5 Xbox live sub accounts i could reativate! and if the whole dedicated Console sub team thing seems tobe to much how about instead of a Console sub team we do a Outreach subteam who's goal isto go into games were we have no subteam to bring people the gosple and to let others know that there is a City of Refuge For us Christian gamers were we can Fellowship with like minded gamers! Iam a GI but i will suport and do suport this effort :)

|CoR| Cool_Hand_Luke

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2009, 07:26:32 PM »
It is very important to have somebody raise questions, objections, past failures, and problematic scenarios.  That is how we can make sure a proposed ministry venture is done right.  The more we can get questions answered the easier it will be to make a well informed prayerful decision.  Keep up the discussions.
Grace & Peace,

Pastor Dade Ronan
|CoR| Pres-Cool_Hand_Luke
Acts 2:38
http://daderonan.com

blckspdr

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2009, 07:39:04 PM »
It is very important to have somebody raise questions, objections, past failures, and problematic scenarios.  That is how we can make sure a proposed ministry venture is done right.  The more we can get questions answered the easier it will be to make a well informed prayerful decision.  Keep up the discussions.
it wasnt my intentions to end discussions... but i felt it was becoming more of an argument between vette and i and that is not what i desire by any means (mainly cause i couldnt win lol) i just felt that that particular line of questioning was no longer bearing fruit... i apologize if i came off as rude or gruff... I am sorry vette it wasnt my intention.

|CoR| Holy_Retribution

« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2009, 09:01:05 PM »
As you all have seen from some of my other Post Iam Rude and Gruff if i believe im standing on a solid foundation i will not or can not be moved This is who i am and how iam God made me stubborn Luckly he gave me some smarts to though LoL   

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2009, 10:00:37 PM »
I'm not trying to rain on anybodies parade, but no offense to anyone, I've been doing this longer than most of you.  And I've been a pastor's wife for 18 years, so I know a thing or two about ministries.  And I know that most of the time if you don't step back and analyze all the possibilities, potential problems and have some seriously committed support, your efforts are doomed to failure.  And while it's good to try, and if it reached just one person it would be well worth it, but I've also seen my fair share of burnouts and fiery crashes that do more harm than good.

|CoR| Holy_Retribution

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2009, 10:08:15 PM »
I understand this but we cant let past failures stop us,,,,,,,,,With that said i agree doing the research first is a must. Thats what this post was for then due to miss comunication it turned into this ;)

blckspdr

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2009, 09:33:23 AM »
I'm not trying to rain on anybodies parade, but no offense to anyone, I've been doing this longer than most of you.  And I've been a pastor's wife for 18 years, so I know a thing or two about ministries.  And I know that most of the time if you don't step back and analyze all the possibilities, potential problems and have some seriously committed support, your efforts are doomed to failure.  And while it's good to try, and if it reached just one person it would be well worth it, but I've also seen my fair share of burnouts and fiery crashes that do more harm than good.
ok

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2009, 10:55:48 AM »
Let me make something clear:  I think it's a wonderful idea for outreach.  I just think it's a bad idea for the basis of a subteam.

blckspdr

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2009, 11:05:48 AM »
Let me make something clear:  I think it's a wonderful idea for outreach.  I just think it's a bad idea for the basis of a subteam.

Ok well let me ask you this then: When we begin this outreach and ask people to come join the forums where will they belong? What would be the point of them even coming to forums at that point? 

Whereas we have previously established that people like to belong to something bigger than themselves and that there are already in existence clans on XBL, if we do not offer them a place once they join the forums why would they come? where would they belong even if they did?

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2009, 11:26:04 AM »
We have a TF2 server and no subteam, so I suppose anyone reached through XBL would be what anyone reached through TF2 would be-a CoR member who plays TF2 or Xbox games.

blckspdr

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2009, 02:22:12 PM »
We have a TF2 server and no subteam, so I suppose anyone reached through XBL would be what anyone reached through TF2 would be-a CoR member who plays TF2 or Xbox games.
but that doesnt really answer one of my questions... what reason would they ever have to come to the forums? or even to the website...? in which case raises the question not only for XBL but also for TF2 why bother? If people feel like they have a reason to come here and a place they belong they will come and likewise If people feel like they do not have a reason to come here they won't, so If CoR isnt willing to or unable to use its resources to their full capacity then why bother? Why not get rid of the TF2 server all together?  Now obviously this thread is not about TF2 but it is about XBL and if CoR isnt willing to or unable to then why are we having this conversation? Because if there is nothing here for them other than just forums well there are hundreds of XBL forums what makes ours different? Isn't that our goal not only in CoR but in life to be different? and if Cor isnt willing to or unable to then why bother? You still look at this through the lens of what we have done before and that is good to an extent but when it gets to the point that it cripples us from trying new ministries and going where the Lord is leading then that lens must be destroyed and as a Pastor I refuse to let past mistakes slow me down in pursuit of the Lord's leading. That doesn't mean that I don't learn from those mistakes but to let them get in the way of the Lord's work is foolish. I think that XBL would make a great subteam. I do not think that it would look like what we have done before at all. But i think given enough time it would work.

|CoR| Vette

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »
Which consoles and games are you allowed to have your own server? 

Who provides console game servers?

Why would players get upset if you are doing evangelism on servers owned by the game company?  Don't game companies expect players to recruit other players into their own clan in order to help grow the community?

Is there an active community that supports those particular games?

What is the probability of console players visiting the forums and getting plugged in with the rest of |CoR|?

Are ther ways to filter bad language and in game chat through some kind of admin functions?

Just some questions that need to be addressed when considering expanding into console games.  I personally do not play console games and quite frankly never will as I do not like using a game pad and I think they are too slow for my flavor, but I would be in favor of it if we can work out the details and if the Lord is leading us in that direction.

You haven't addressed any of CHL's questions.

You also haven't laid out any sort of plan addressing how you will translate the necessities of a CoR subteam into the XBL environment.

I admire your enthusiasm, but so far enthusiasm is all you have.

{~12~} Zion

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2009, 02:45:48 PM »
I'd be all over a console or Xbox Live team. Teach you youngsters some new tricks.
Adam Hairfield
Zion

blckspdr

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2009, 04:01:46 PM »
Which consoles and games are you allowed to have your own server? 

A XBL "server" is just someone with an Xbox hosting a game.  And other than kicking/banning someone from your game, there is no admin functionality. 

Who provides console game servers?

A XBL "server" is just someone with an Xbox hosting a game.  And other than kicking/banning someone from your game, there is no admin functionality. 

Why would players get upset if you are doing evangelism on servers owned by the game company?  Don't game companies expect players to recruit other players into their own clan in order to help grow the community?

As far as being called the jehovahs witnesses of the xbl community... I can say from personal experience that actions speak much louder than words. for example: I began playing Diablo 2 awhile back a game that is frowned upon by many and if you think that the xbl community is immature... you know nothing lol... i started playing with friends i knew personally but who eventually quit... so i began playing by myself and joining random games just increasing my characters abilities. i began to play with people who could see that not only was i skilled at the game but i wasnt like the other people that played it... i didnt swear, i didnt gloat, i played for the advantage of the party and not just myself, if an item dropped that i didnt need i would give it away. i lived and played by example... i eventually began to make many friends which in turn over several months led to 3 of them accepting Christ as their savior...

Is there an active community that supports those particular games?

That said, XBL is a huge community in the Halo, Gears of War, and Call of Duty world.  Its a good place to go, but you'd need a vastly different approach to everything even moreso then when CoR started doing MMO's.

(You can also use PS3, but their community is much smaller.  Though you could make your own LittleBigPlanet content that had to do with CoR)

What is the probability of console players visiting the forums and getting plugged in with the rest of |CoR|?

[3.) I belive firmly and from personal experience that if people find you interesting enough they will listen to what you have to say and check out the website... you have to have an internet connection to be on XBL so therefore it stands to reason that they have access to the internet...

Are ther ways to filter bad language and in game chat through some kind of admin functions?

GoW, for example, would be especially problematic because of all the language.  We already get hassled enough for being Christians playing violent games, and as far as I remember, the characters voice taunts when making headshots are scripted into the game even in multiplayer. 

Just some questions that need to be addressed when considering expanding into console games.  I personally do not play console games and quite frankly never will as I do not like using a game pad and I think they are too slow for my flavor, but I would be in favor of it if we can work out the details and if the Lord is leading us in that direction.

You haven't addressed any of CHL's questions.

You also haven't laid out any sort of plan addressing how you will translate the necessities of a CoR subteam into the XBL environment.

I admire your enthusiasm, but so far enthusiasm is all you have.

Am i being asked to step into the responsibility of organizing this? If so i will otherwise i will not function under the assumption that i am. as this responsibility would belong to the general or the leader of the sub-team.